The cold front has me craving warm porridge in the morning and I thought I should make a nice savory one for dinner too. This recipe adds in whole grain teff to a traditional savory steel-cut oat. This Savory Southwest Teff and Steel-Cut Oats makes a great base for a 1 bowl meal, but can be stuffed inside a burrito too!
Have you tried savory porridge? What’s your go-to flavor? I love mine with smoked paprika, chili powder, and nutritional yeast like the recipe below.
- 2/3 cup Maskal Brown Teff, ivory will work too!
- 1/3 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or water saute to make oil-free
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced bell pepper, tri-color if possible
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or use more if you'd like to make it spicier
- 3 1/2 cups water or unsalted vegetable broth
Before Serving Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I used 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- Lightly toast the teff and oats in a saute pan over medium-low heat until you notice a nutty fragrance, about 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside for a later step.
- Heat the oil (or water if you’re making this oil-free) into a Dutch Oven or saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and saute until translucent. Stir in the bell pepper and garlic. Cook until the bell peppers soften, then add the cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Saute until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the 3 cups of water or broth and the toasted teff and oats to the sauteed vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer while stirring often for about 15 minutes. If it cooks a bit dry before the oats are tender, add the additional ½ cup water or broth.
- Once done, remove from heat and stir in the nutritional yeast. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve as a side or the bottom of a dinner bowl slathered with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Sodium 522mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 10g