Richa’s second cookbook is full of flavor and recipes for awesome sauces. In fact, she arranges the book around these sauces in chapters like Peanut Butter and Coconut, Masala and more. The rest of the chapters divide into more traditional groupings like burgers and sweets.
Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen: Epic Anytime Recipes with a World of Flavor really lives up to its name with dozens of recipes that represent many different cuisines.
Bombay Potatoes and Peas
- 2 teaspoons organic safflower or other neutral oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato coarsely chopped
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch [3cm] knob fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala or more to taste
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1/2-inch [1cm] pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 cup 240ml water, or more as needed
- 1 cup 160g fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 1/4 cup 10g finely chopped cilantro
- Fresh lemon juice to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds. Cook until the cumin seeds change color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, blend the tomato, garlic, and ginger into a coarse puree. Add the tomato mixture, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, ground cumin, and garam masala to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the puree thickens and the garlic is fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, salt, and water. Cover the skillet and cook for 10 to 11 minutes. Add the peas. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for another 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked to your preference. Add additional water if the potatoes start to stick or if you prefer more curry. Add the cilantro and lemon juice (if using).
More Recipes to Try
- Vegan St. Patrick’s Day Potato Recipe Round-up
- Butternut Squash And Kale Lo Mein With Crispy Tofu
- Vegan Cashew Stuffed Artichokes from Deliciously Vegan