I know some of you have been missing the slow cooker recipes, and I have one of the simplest recipes for you today. My Slow Cooker Mother Stallard Beans even has a stove-top variation.
This recipe is from my The Great Vegan Bean Book and perfect for a lazy day at home or it will cook while you are at work.
What are Mother Stallard Beans? They are beautiful football shaped heirloom beans that make a brilliant broth. That’s why this recipe has so few ingredients, the beans really are the stars.
These beans aren’t always available, but you can substitute you favorite bean or a new-to-you heirloom bean.
You can make it in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. Leftovers are great over rice or quinoa.
- 2 cups Mother Stallard Beans, , rinsed and picked through - or other dry bean
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inch sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Stove Top Directions
- Directions:Add everything except salt and pepper to a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat down to medium low.
- Cook until the beans are tender about 2 to 3 hours. If your beans are older it can take as much as twice as long.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then dig into a bowl of home-cooked goodness!
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add everything except salt and pepper to the slow cooker and cook for 7 to 10 hours on low.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 125Sodium 41mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 7gSugar 1gProtein 7g
More Recipes to Try
- 9 of the Best Vegan Bean Recipes
- 4 Winter Warming Recipes from The Great Vegan Bean Book
- Vegan Kale Stem Pesto from The CSA Cookbook