I know some of you have been missing the slow cooker recipes, and I have one of the simplest recipes for you today. My Slow Cooker Mother Stallard Beans even has a stove-top variation.
This recipe is from my The Great Vegan Bean Book and perfect for a lazy day at home or it will cook while you are at work.
What are Mother Stallard Beans? They are beautiful football shaped heirloom beans that make a brilliant broth. That’s why this recipe has so few ingredients, the beans really are the stars.
These beans aren’t always available, but you can substitute you favorite bean or a new-to-you heirloom bean.
You can make it in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. Leftovers are great over rice or quinoa.
Mother Stallard Beans
soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free
- 2 cups Mother Stallard Beans, , rinsed and picked through - or other dry bean
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inch sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Stove Top Directions
- Directions:Add everything except salt and pepper to a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat down to medium low.
- Cook until the beans are tender about 2 to 3 hours. If your beans are older it can take as much as twice as long.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then dig into a bowl of home-cooked goodness!
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add everything except salt and pepper to the slow cooker and cook for 7 to 10 hours on low.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 125Sodium 41mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 7gSugar 1gProtein 7g
More Recipes to Try
- 9 of the Best Vegan Bean Recipes
- 4 Winter Warming Recipes from The Great Vegan Bean Book
- Vegan Kale Stem Pesto from The CSA Cookbook
Happy Vegan MoFo to you! 🙂 I feel so lucky to have your book. We have made many delicious dinners. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us this month!!
Debbie @ Live from La Quinta says
Somehow Vegan Mofo snuck up on me this year! I’ll be happy to follow along!
The Peace Patch says
Simple and delicious…I must try this intriguing bean! Thanks for the recipe and link!
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com says
Kathy, I do eat meat, but in limited amounts; so I really depend on beans for protein. And I thought I knew beans! But I’ve never heard of Mother Stallard beans! Must get some.
This is a great recipe for the best beans you can buy. Delicious. I used Rancho Gordo Mother Stallard beans in the slow cooker method. The best beans in the world are from Rancho Gordo.
The very freshest best heirloom beans come to your door. You never have to soak them, as they are so fresh.
You get to try varieties you never heard of or tried before. What a treat!
Great recipe. Thank you.
Pat Meadows says
Yes! I absolutely agree with Fifi. Terrific beans, terrific supplier. Elegant Beans also has Mother Stallard; I don’t know anywhere else you can get them- just those two. .
Elegant beans is: http://www.elegantbeans.com.
Maybe there are lots of other suppliers but I’ve not heard of them. We’re living in northern Maine, not a hotbed of Good Mother Stallard beans! New Englanders and probably Mainers in particular eat a lot of baked beans! They can be made from Yellow-eye Beans, I think it is.
Becky Striepe says
Oh my gosh, these look delicious! Thank you for including stovetop directions.
I’ve never heard of Mother Staller Beans! I love to try them!