Great Vegan BBQ without a Grill is full of recipes for plant-based hearty foods, including ribs, burgers, and even steaks! But there are things on sticks, lots of sides, and cool appetizers like this Vegan Crab Dip made with jackfruit.
I’ve been getting more obsessed with jackfruit lately and have been using it in recipes that call for shredded chicken like veganizing a Tom Yum Soup. I hadn’t thought about using it in place of crab until I saw Linda and Alex’s recipe. It’s a brilliant idea!
- 2 cups 300 g raw cashews, soaked in 2 cups (480 ml) water overnight
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup 60 ml unsweetened cashew milk or other vegan milk
- 2 tbsp 30 ml lemon juice
- 2 tbsp 30 ml Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1 can young jackfruit packed in water, , 14-oz [400-g] can or 1 1/2 cups (400 g) fresh jackfruit
- Drain and rinse the cashews and put into a high-powered blender or food processor. Add the garlic, cashew milk, lemon juice, mustard, Old Bay seasoning, salt, paprika and onion powder.
- Blend for approximately 2 minutes (scrape the sides frequently), or until it’s smooth and velvety. You shouldn’t see or taste pieces of solid nuts.
- Scrape the cashew mixture into a medium bowl.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit well. Shred the jackfruit with a fork or in a food processor and put in the bowl with the cashew mixture.
- Gently fold until fully combined. Serve with crackers, toast or sliced vegetables.
More Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Bow Tie Pasta Chips
- Eggplant Tapenade from Vegan Slow Cooking for Two
- Air Fryer Sesame, Ginger and Garlic Edamame