A Vegan London Fog tea is one of my favorite morning drinks. For those of you that haven’t had one before, it’s made with Earl Grey Tea, milk, and vanilla syrup. Oh, in case you aren’t a tea drinker Earl Grey is a black tea that’s flavored with bergamot, a type of citrus fruit.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SilkSipToSpoon #CollectiveBias
Of course, I go for a vegan version with whatever plant-based milk is available at the coffee shop I’m at. Honestly though, I’d rather make my own at home. You can even make it fit with your New Year’s goals. At a coffee chain it can cost $6 for a cup of London Fog, but at home all you need is some nondairy milk, Earl Grey tea and vanilla.
Better yet, you can lower the amount of sugar you’re getting by using unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Then you can leave it as-is, use stevia or even sneak in a little coconut sugar or maple syrup.
I used Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk that I picked up at Walmart. I love that you can always count on finding nondairy milk wherever you might be, right in with the dairy milk in the refrigerated section. For those of you that are avoiding carrageenan, Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk is now carrageenan-free too!
I make a pot of London Fog and use 3 teaspoons of loose Earl Grey tea, but you can use 3 Earl Grey tea bags instead.
I actually steep the tea in hot unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of water. Just heat the milk on the stovetop over medium heat until it begins to steam. Then steep the tea in the hot milk for 4 minutes.
Add your favorite sweetener, and you get bonus points if it adds more vanilla flavor, like vanilla stevia or homemade vanilla vegan sugar. I like to add in some orange flower water too. It gives it a slight floral flavor and an amazing aroma.
- 4 cups Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 3 teaspoons loose leaf Early Grey Tea or 3 tea bags
- sweetener of choice, to taste (vanilla stevia works great)
fun additions to choose from:
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1/2 teaspoon rosewater
- Heat the milk until it begins to steam, but do not boil. Steep the tea in the hot milk for 4 minutes.
- Sweeten the whole pot with your choice of sweetener. I sometimes use vanilla stevia and sometimes I use vegan sugar than I tuck used vanilla beans.
- You may want to punch up the vanilla with some vanilla extract or veer towards the exotic side with some orange flower water. It will taste and smell wonderful.
Amount Per Serving Calories 93Sodium 151mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 15gProtein 1g