This may be the easiest seitan you ever make. It goes through two baking cycles in your air fryer. After the rest, it’s still a bit wet and easy to cut into strips. The second cook makes them nice and chewy. Air Fryer Seitan is the best!
How is Air Fried Seitan Different From Any Other?
I love making seitan in my air fryer. It’s a different texture than steamed and is perfect for these double baked Easy Air Fryer Seitan Vegan Riblets from my vegan air fryer cookbook, Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer.
How Do You Make Seitan in Your Air Fryer?
First you mix the seitan together in your food processor, then you press it into a shape and size that fits into your air fryer. Cut it in half so it will cook faster.
Then cook those pieces in your air fryer until they get puffy. And believe me, they are gonna to puff up more than you can imagine!
How Do I Make Seitan into Vegan Riblets in my Air Fryer?
Then we take those large pieces out and let cool for a bit. Then slice 1/2 inch riblets from both pieces, toss with your BBQ sauce and cook for the last time. Don’t worry if there are parts that are thinner than others or pieces with some holes. I promise you it will make an out of this world texture!
I have a video where I make these above, near the top of the post below the first image and text. It really helps you see the process and how easy it really is!
New Vegan Tip: Be sure to look at the ingredients on bbq sauces, many have anchovies in them, sometimes in the form of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, mushroom powder (or vegan Worcestershire sauce), onion powder, salt and garlic powder to your food processor.
- Pulse until mixed well. Let the our settle, then drizzle the water in through the top opening while you have the processor on.
- Then let the food processor run for about 3 minutes more to knead the seitan. Remove the dough and put it on a cutting board and knead a little bit more with your hands.
- Press and pull the dough into a circle or square shape that will fitt into your air fryer basket. Then cut it in half so that it will cook a little faster and more evenly.
- Place the 2 seitan pieces into your air fryer and cook on 370°F (188°C) for 8 minutes. Then flip the pieces over and cook 5 minutes more.
- You could stop here and cut into chunks to use in stir-fries, slice thin for sandwiches or cut into pieces and pulse in your food processor to make ground seitan for tacos or spaghetti sauce.
- Or go ahead and make riblets! Slice half of the seitan into 1⁄2-inch (12-mm) wide strips, then toss with about 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) of your favorite BBQ sauce. Place in an oven-safe container that fits into your air fryer and cook at 370°F (188°C) for 5 minutes.
No mushroom powder? Use vegan Worcestershire sauce instead!
- Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten Flour, 22-ounce (Pack of 4)
- Hoosier Hill Farm Portabella Mushroom Powder, 6 oz.
- Cuisinart AFR-25 Air Fryer One Size Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 272 Total Fat 2g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 787mg Carbohydrates 19g Fiber 3g Sugar 6g Protein 47g
More Recipes to Try
- Air Fried Vegan Beignets with an Oven Option
- Air Fryer Sesame, Ginger and Garlic Edamame
- Your New Fav Snack: Air Fryer Bow Tie Pasta Chips