I love making seitan in my air fryer. It’s a different texture than steamed and is perfect for these double baked Easy Air Fryer Seitan Vegan Riblets from my book, Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer.
First you mix the seitan together in your food processor, then you press it into a shape and size that fits into your air fryer. Cut it in half so it will cook faster.
Then cook those pieces in your air fryer until they get puffy. And believe me, they are gonna to puff up more than you can imagine!
Then we take those large pieces out and let cool for a bit. Then slice 1/2 inch riblets from both pieces, toss with your BBQ sauce and cook for the last time. Don’t worry if there are parts that are thinner than others or pieces with some holes. I promise you it will make an out of this world texture!
I have a video where I make these below the recipe. It really helps you see the process and how easy it really is!
New Vegan Tip: Be sure to look at the ingredients on bbq sauces, many have anchovies in them, sometimes in the form of Worcestershire sauce.
Easy Air Fry Seitan Riblets
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp mushroom powder or vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup water or unsalted vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup BBQ sauce
- Add the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, mushroom powder (or vegan Worcestershire sauce), onion powder, salt and garlic powder to your food processor.
- Pulse until mixed well. Let the our settle, then drizzle the water in through the top opening while you have the processor on.
- Then let the food processor run for about 3 minutes more to knead the seitan. Remove the dough and put it on a cutting board and knead a little bit more with your hands.
- Press and pull the dough into a circle or square shape that will fitt into your air fryer basket. Then cut it in half so that it will cook a little faster and more evenly.
- Place the 2 seitan pieces into your air fryer and cook on 370°F (188°C) for 8 minutes. Then flip the pieces over and cook 5 minutes more.
- You could stop here and cut into chunks to use in stir-fries, slice thin for sandwiches or cut into pieces and pulse in your food processor to make ground seitan for tacos or spaghetti sauce.
- Or go ahead and make riblets! Slice half of the seitan into 1⁄2-inch (12-mm) wide strips, then toss with about 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) of your favorite BBQ sauce. Place in an oven-safe container that fits into your air fryer and cook at 370°F (188°C) for 5 minutes.