Some weeks just wear me out. At the end of the day lately, I don’t want to think about cutting up more veggies and cooking an involved recipe for dinner. Today’s Quick and Easy Weeknight Vegan Skillet Meal is the solution to being too busy to cook.
Please note that this post was sponsored by Green Giant but all opinions and the recipe are my own.
The base of my recipe today is Green Giant Riced Cauliflower & Sweet Potato blend. I love that I can stash a few bags in my freezer and that there are no weird ingredients. It’s 100% cauliflower and sweet potato – the end. I also love their Riced Cauliflower & Broccoli too.
I made another quick dish with the cauliflower broccoli rice. I heated it up in a skillet, mixed in some jarred salsa verde and chopped cilantro. It’s a perfect side dish for beans or addition into burritos.
You can find them in the freezer section in most groceries, including Walmarts, so they are available all over the country. I think it’s great that there are more ways to easily add in more vegetables to your meals.
It only takes minutes to cook up cauliflower sweet potato rice, and that’s so much faster than cooking brown rice. Once you have a few bags stored in your freezer at home, you’ll be serving stews and dals over super-fast cauliflower rices too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or saute with broth to make no oil added)
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional (to suit your heat level)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (15.5 oz/ 439 g) can black beans, drained and rinsed ( or 1½ cups homemade)
- 1 (12 oz /340 g) bag Green Giant Riced Cauliflower & Sweet Potato (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil or broth in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne to the skillet and turn the heat to medium. Saute until the spices become fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the water, beans, and Green Giant Riced Cauliflower & Sweet Potato and cook until the sweet potato begins to tender. Then add the kale and cook until it's steamed.
- Before serving add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can serve this as-is in a bowl, or fancy it up with salsa, chopped veggies, and avocado. You can serve leftovers in lettuce leaves, use in burritos or on salads!