We all need to have a few budget-friendly recipes in our repertoire, and this Spiced Instant Pot Lentils and Rice is also quick and easy too!
Note: This post is sponsored by Harris Teeter. All the opinions and the recipe are mine and I hope you enjoy it.
When Harris Teeter asked me to make a meal for 4 under $20, I jumped at the chance. I already use their private label products and love that they’ve expanded their line to include many low-priced HT organic choices as well.
Many people seem to think that eating vegan is either expensive or boring and this meal is neither. All you need to elevate inexpensive beans and rice are a few spices that are probably already in your spice cabinet.
I knew that I could do better than one meal for that.
Just for this recipe I used 2 kinds of organic lentils, both French green and brown, a large container of organic jasmine rice, and threw in some organic vegetable broth.
All of these came in at under $15 and you could make this recipe at least 4 times if not more.
Also, you have enough left over to grab some HT Organics Marinara Pasta Sauce and HT Organics Whole Wheat Penne, plus almost $3 for fresh or frozen veggies to add in.
I’ve given you 6 meals for 4 for under $20 and all the main ingredients are organic too.
You can save even more money by using water instead of vegetable broth, or just use 1/2 broth and 1/2 water.
You can also tone it down a bit and just use all brown or all green lentils instead of buying both kinds at once.
If you don’t have these spices on hand to make my Middle-Eastern inspired version, try buying one blend like a chili powder, Italian seasoning blend, or even garam masala instead.
What I’d suggest is to not add it until the mixture is cooked, then add the seasoning blend of your choice, to taste.
If you’d like to give these as a Christmas gift, here are 2 handy recipe cards to choose from for you to download. Just right-click and save image as.
Budget Friendly Spiced Instant Pot Lentils and Rice
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice like basmati or jasmine
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup green lentils or use all brown lentils
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Add all the ingredients to your Instant Pot liner except for the salt. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Carefully release the pressure manually.
- If you’ve used broth, you may not need to add any salt at all. If you used water, salt to taste and you can even add in 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast to give it an optional flavor boost.