Today is the day my book officially launches! However, Amazon will start shipping it the 5th so you may have a few more days before it reaches your mailbox. While you’re waiting, here’s a lovely cake to snack on. This is my slow cooking take on desserts for 1 – only this one makes enough for 2 but can stretch to be a mini dessert for 4.
When you bake a cake like this one in your slow cooker, it becomes moist and sumptuous. But you don’t want the condensation making it wet and preventing it from baking, so use a clean dish towel under the lid to soak up the moisture. Just make sure to fold the towel in quarters so it doesn’t touch the hot sides of your slow cooker.
I think the desserts like cookies or cakes are easiest to get out by lining your crock with parchment paper. Then instead of fighting the cake, it just lifts up with the paper in one beautiful piece just like Kate’s did above.
I think it’s even better slow cooking a cake in your small slow cooker because it only takes about 1 to 2 hours. Start it right before dinner and you’ll have a warm freshly baked cake waiting on you to dish it out. You can even top it with some So Delicious Almond Milk Vanilla ice cream. It’s great for date night at home.
More delicious desserts from Slow Cooking for Two or Just You:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie for Two (with Tons of Variations)
- Chai-Spiced Apple Crumble
- Oatmeal and Dried Fruit Cookie for Two
- Apple Chocolate Chip Nut Bread Pudding
- Butterscotch Rum Sauce
- Pumpkin Coconut Caramel Sauce – one of my favorite recipes in the whole book. It’s amazing in coffee too!
- Small Batch of Basic Brownies
- Carrot Cake Rice Pudding
- Coconut Hot Chocolate
- Lavender Rose Valentine Cocoa
Blueberry Lemon Cake
soy-free gluten-free option* oil-free option**
Please note: this recipes uses a 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cooker
- 1⁄2 cup (60 g) whole-wheat pastry flour (*use gluten-free baking mix)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon stevia plus 1 teaspoon agave nectar or sweetener of your choice, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1⁄4 cup (36 g) blueberries
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 2 teaspoons (10 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (**substitute applesauce or pumpkin purée)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
Spray the crock with oil or **line with parchment paper to make the recipe oil-free. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Then add the wet to the dry and mix until combined.
Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and spread evenly on the bottom. Put a clean dish towel or paper towel between the lid and slow cooker to absorb the condensation. Cook on high 60 to 80 minutes or until the middle is solid and doesn’t indent when you touch it.
yield: 4 servings
per serving: 79.0 calories; 2.2 g total fat; 0.2 g saturated fat; 2.3 g protein; 13.3 g carbohydrate; 2.4 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol
prep time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 60 to 80 minutes