Pumpkin spice frozen coffee seems to have a cult following. Just saying the name invokes thoughts of sweaters and multi-colored leaves. Unfortunately, almost all of the commercial syrups have dairy in them.
This recipe from The Easy Vegan Cookbook will change your perspective, so you can see outside the pumpkin-spice box. It still is creamy, spicy and full of fall.
If you have some sweet potatoes left over from dinner, you have a new recipe to try! If you really miss your pumpkin though I have recipes for pumpkin spice lattes hot or frozen.
The one thing that you need to make ahead is the cold brewed coffee concentrate. You can make it on the weekend and use it all week long. There is very little hands-on time, and it cold brews by sitting out overnight while you sleep.
Sweet Potato Latte from The Easy Vegan Cookbook
- 1 1/4 cups 312 ml nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup 64 g sweet potato purée
- 1/4 cup 63 ml coffee concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- Sweetener of choice to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum or 1 teaspoon pectin or 1 1/2 teaspoons 7 g ground chia seeds
- 2 cups 43 g ice
- Add the milk, sweet potato, coffee and spices to your blender. Blend until they’re combined well and there are no lumps of potato. Add the xanthan gum (or pectin or chia seeds) and blend. This ingredient will keep the others from separating.
- Now taste and add sweetener, adjusting as needed. Remember, this is a concentrated flavor, so it needs to be a little sweeter now to be just right with ice. Add the ice. Depending on how powerful your blender is, you may have to add it ½ cup (120 g) at a time. Add more nondairy milk if it’s too thick or more ice if it’s too thin.