This Tempeh Mushroom Stroganoff is amazingly easy and full of great flavors. It has few ingredients, but the mushrooms combined with the bouillon create an amazing broth that becomes the base of the sauce.
I don’t use tempeh as much as I should. It’s a fermented soy product that’s originally from Indonesia. Most people agree that fermented soy products are better for you and easier to digest.
Tempeh has a reputation for having a bitter taste, but if you steam it for 10 minutes before adding to your dish it will take most of that away.
If you are lucky, like I am, you might have an artisanal tempeh maker in your neck of the woods. The triangle area has Tempeh Girl and I think there is one in Asheville, NC and Gainesville, Fl. (If there’s one in your area please share the info in the comments.)
I’ll be talking more about Tempeh Girl, but she uses a different culture than the mass producers do and her tempeh is not bitter at all. It’s ready to use right out of the package, so no steaming needed!
(I don’t usually do before pictures, but I wanted you to see the new tempeh I’m using. See how pretty it looks!)
- 1 package (8 ounces or 227 g) tempeh
- 2 cups ( about 5 ounces or 142 g) mushrooms, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 cups (250 to 500 ml) water, use more if you will cook longer than 8 hours
- 1 teaspoon Not-Chicken Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream (sub cashew cream or unsweetened non-dairy milk)
- pinch dill, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked pasta, for serving
- Chop tempeh and mushrooms.
- Steam tempeh for about 10 minutes unless you have a locally made tempeh and then follow their recommendations. (For Tempeh Girl tempeh no steaming is needed!)
- Store in fridge until the morning.
- Add tempeh, mushrooms, garlic, water, bouillon, and paprika.
- Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Add vegan sour cream and mix.
- Taste and add more paprika if needed, as well as salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta (or mashed cauliflower, rice, quinoa, etc.) and top with dill if desired.