I’ve been in a slow cooker mood and making of a list of things I want to cook in my crockpot. First up is this Slow Cooker Vegan Sweet and Sour Tempeh.
Why? Well, there was tempeh in the fridge and a pineapple that needed to be used asap. The sauce is mostly fresh pineapple with crushed tomatoes, soy sauce, and ginger. It’s so easy. You just add all the sauce ingredients to your blender, pour over the cubed tempeh, bell pepper and chopped pineapple in the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours and serve over rice. It will brighten up dinner on one of those dark, gloomy days.
Blender Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion, or 1/2 small onion
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, regular or low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 8 ounce/227g packages tempeh. cubed
- 1 1/2 cups diced pineapple
- 2 cups diced bell pepper, any color or tri-color
- Add all the blender ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the main ingredients and the blender sauce to your 4-quart crockpot and cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Amount Per Serving Calories 86Sodium 626mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 3gSugar 10gProtein 4g
I know many of you enjoyed my 6 Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes for 2-Quart Crockpots post on Thursday. Even though this recipe is written to use a 4-quart slow cooker, you can cut it in half and use your 2-quart crockpot!