Pineapple Rum Beans are one of the most popular recipes in The Great Vegan Bean Book and very easy to make. I serve them over mashed sweet potatoes that are full of flavor.
Black Runner beans are my favorite in the Pineapple Rum Beans though you can certainly use kidney beans in the place to make it a very budget-friendly meal. Sweet potatoes are gold on the dinner table. Full of nutrition, great sweet flavor sweet potatoes make a plain old meal into something fantastic. I went over the top by adding coconut milk and lime to them.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, *use water or broth
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup 165 g pineapple, chopped small
- 3 cups 750 g cooked pinto or black beans or 2 cans (15 ounces, or 420 g each), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, plain or smoked
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the pineapple, beans, rum, thyme, paprika, marjoram, and cumin.
- Cook over medium heat until it starts simmering and then decrease the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 25 to 35 minutes, until the flavors meld.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.