Pineapple Rum Beans are one of the most popular recipes in The Great Vegan Bean Book and very easy to make. I serve them over mashed sweet potatoes that are full of flavor.
Black Runner beans are my favorite in the Pineapple Rum Beans though you can certainly use kidney beans in the place to make it a very budget-friendly meal. Sweet potatoes are gold on the dinner table. Full of nutrition, great sweet flavor sweet potatoes make a plain old meal into something fantastic. I went over the top by adding coconut milk and lime to them.
Pineapple Rum Beans from The Great Vegan Bean Book
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, *use water or broth
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup 165 g pineapple, chopped small
- 3 cups 750 g cooked pinto or black beans or 2 cans (15 ounces, or 420 g each), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, plain or smoked
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the pineapple, beans, rum, thyme, paprika, marjoram, and cumin.
- Cook over medium heat until it starts simmering and then decrease the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 25 to 35 minutes, until the flavors meld.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
soy-free gluten-free oil-free option*
Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens says
The layers of flavors in this recipe are so intriguing – complex and deliciously unique! What a beautiful dish! Pinning it right now to share with others!
Just finished our meal. It was delicious! Cooking time was long (or it seemed so because it was smelling so good) but it was very,very easy to make. I used coconut rum and I used at least 1/4 cup if not more because you can’t go wrong with more rum!! Thanks for the recipe!
Kathy Hester says
The coconut rum sounds like a great idea. Now I’ll have to go get some ; )
OMGGGGGG!!! WHAT AN AMAZING RECIPE!! THE COMBO IS PHENOMENAL!! I just made this and loved it!!! I could finish it all by myself hehehe