I have a fun and delicious recipe breakfast or brunch for you today. This Blueberry Breakfast Polenta is from The Great Vegan Grain Book by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes.
Spring makes me want to start eating berries. In North Carolina, I’ve been eating strawberries grown in a greenhouse for weeks, but my blueberries will still be frozen for awhile. I can be happy with that for now.
I love all of Celine and Tamasin’s book, but The Great Vegan Grain Book is pretty spectacular. It’s full of Celine’s beautiful photos and has recipes for just about any grain you’ve been wanting to add into your diet.
Includes recipes for every course and time of day for amaranth, barley, buckwheat, bulgar, cracked wheat, einkorn, farro, freekeh, kamut, millet, oats, polenta and grits, quinoa, rice, rye, sorghum (my new favorite), spelt, teff, triticale, and whole wheat berries.
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup polenta/corn grits
- 1 tablespoon evaporated cane juice
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Neutral-flavored oil, for cooking
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Vegan butter, for serving
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, being sure to reach about 2 inches (5 cm) up the sides.
- Bring the orange juice and water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over high heat. Whisk in the polenta, sugar, and salt. Reduce the heat to simmer. Continue whisking for 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture is thick and clears the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and gently stir in the blueberries. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and let cool for 30 minutes. You want a flat plank of polenta in a loafpan shape. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours until the polenta is very firm. At this stage, if wrapped airtight and refrigerated the polenta can be stored for up to 1 week.
- To cook the polenta, lift the parchment paper carefully from the loaf pan. Cut the polenta in half, and then cut each half again to create 4 triangles. Pour a ¼-inch (0.6 cm) layer of oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the triangles. Do not move them until the bottom is slightly browned, about 4 to 6 minutes. Moving them too soon can remove the crisp outer coating. Turn over the triangles and cook the second side until browned and crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 369Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 10mgSodium 123mgCarbohydrates 76gFiber 1gSugar 59gProtein 2g