Today I have a soup recipe for you, that’s so easy. Just throw everything together in your slow cooker before you leave for work. You can use all kinds of veggies in this Slow Cooker Yellow-Eyed Bean Soup, and it cooks in your little 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cooker. I actually used my 2 1/2 quart and it worked fine.
Don’t have yellow eyed beans in your pantry? Use black-eyed peas, pintos or another heirloom bean you’ve been saving. I fell in love with yellow eyed beans the first time I tasted them last year. Prettier than black-eyed peas, they have a smoother texture too. They were traditionally used in baked beans, but are great in Southern favs, soups and stews.
In this crockpot soup, the sweet potatoes mix with the beans to create a rich broth that gets a hint of sweetness from the sweet potato. I love that it uses seasonal ingredients that you may already have on hand.
Slow Cooker Yellow Eyed Bean Soup For 2 with Veggie Variations
soy-free, gluten-free, no added oil **Please note that this recipe is for a 1½ to 2 quart slow cooker - you can double or triple it and use a larger slow cooker**
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced (or potato, turnip, carrot or combination)
- 1 cup dried yellow eyed beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon veggie bouillon
- 1 (2 inch) sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add the sweet potato, beans, garlic, water, bouillon, rosemary, marjoram and paprika into your 2-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
- Minutes before serving add the greens if you're using them. They will cook just enough from the heat in the soup since they are minced. Also add the nutritional yeast, liquid smoke and Tabasco if you are using it.
- Right before serving add salt and pepper, taste, then adjust any of the seasonings as needed