Summer is the perfect time to pull your Crock-Pot out! It’s a great way to make dinner in the morning, and it’s mostly hands off until you’re ready to eat. Cheryl asked me to make a vegan version of honey chicken for her, and this Vegan Slow Cooker No-Honey Tofu was born!
I used tofu in place of the chicken, but you could use a meat substitute like Gardein or Beyond Meat in place of the tofu. If you’re allergic to soy, you could make this with hemp tofu, cooked chickpeas, or even cauliflower florets.
I used agave nectar to give it sweetness, but you could use bee-free Honee, maple syrup, or your favorite sweetener to taste.
I made this recipe work for two meals that served two people. The first time I used half the tofu, served it over brown rice, and made a quick stir-fry of green beans with black bean sauce.
I made lettuce wraps with the leftover tofu mixture. I got the most beautiful bibb lettuce in my CSA box and all I did was spiralize some cucumber and yellow squash to make it pretty and add some extra veggies. I grated a carrot because it was too tiny to spiralize! You could even drizzle the top with a little hoisin sauce or Sriracha. Imagine – leftovers that your family actually asks for!
Vegan Slow Cooker No-Honey Tofu
This recipe uses a 1½ to 2 quart slow cooker. You can double or triple to use a larger slow cooker or cook in a 2 quart Pyrex dish inside your larger slow cooker.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use a gluten-free version to make gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Slow Cooker Ingredients
- 1/4 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup carrot coins
- 1 package ( 14 ounces) firm or extra firm tofu, cut into cubes (cheat by buying an 8 ounce package of pre-cut extra firm cubes)
minutes before serving
- 1 heaping teaspoon organic corn starch, optional (make the sauce thicken)
- cooked brown rice, quinoa or other grain
- or lettuce leaves to make wraps
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Layer the onion and carrots on the bottom of the slow cooker, then top with the tofu. Pour the sauce evenly over the tofu. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- If you want to make the sauce thick like the one at your favorite restaurant, mix the cornstarch with about 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to dissolve, then add to the slow cooker and mix well. Turn to high and cook 15 more minutes. The sauce will thicken.
- Serve over your favorite cooked grain or in lettuce to make lettuce wraps.