If you or one of your guests are avoiding gluten you can still have a sweet kugel with these homemade quinoa flour and flax noodles. The creaminess of the kugel comes from an easy-to-make cashew sour cream. The caramel is made from dates and vanilla, making this a healthy choice too.
If you keep kosher you may not be allowed quinoa flour or flax seeds over Passover. I am not expert on Kosher food and trying to figure this out by googling just got me more confused, so you should talk to your Rabbi to get the final ruling because some things I read said it was fine and others said it was not.
Personally, I think a noodle kugel is good anytime!
All of the homemade components can be made the night before and stored in the fridge covered. Soaking the cashews for the Cashew Sour Cream makes them easier to blend and gives a velvety smooth texture. You can soak them as little as 2 hours on the counter to overnight in the fridge.
Cashew Sour Cream Recipe
1 ½ cups soaked cashews
¾ cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. This will store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Date Caramel Sauce Recipe
2 cups water
2 teaspoons vanilla
Place the dates and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon scoop out the dates into a blender then add ¼ cup of the cooking water and the vanilla. Blend until smooth. This will store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Serves: 12 servings
- 2 ½ cups shredded apple
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 recipe Cashew Sour Cream (see recipe above)
- 1 recipe Date Caramel Sauce (see recipe above)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 recipe Quinoa-Flax Noodles, cooked (get recipe here)
- 1 recipe Cinnamon Walnut Topping (see recipe below), optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a large 9 by 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Mix the shredded apple, lemon juice, Cashew Sour Cream, Date Caramel Sauce, ground flaxseed, cinnamon and cardamom until all ingredients are fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Gently fold in the cooked noodles. You can rinse the noodles if they have started to stick together some, just make sure to drain well before adding.
- Carefully scrape the mixture into your prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. The pull out the kugel and add the walnut topping, if using and bake 20 more minutes.
Cinnamon Walnut Topping
2 cups walnut pieces or chopped walnuts
¼ cup agave nectar
2 tablespoons RolandⓇ Quinoa Flour
2 tablespoons apple brandy or nondairy milk like almond
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
Mix all of the ingredients into a small mixing bowl. This will store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. After 2 days you may need to add more liquid before using.