This is the time of year that zucchini can be too plentiful. I am using a CSA that I get to pick out what I want. But I have a default box that comes and this week it had lots of zucchini in addition to all the extra I already had in my fridge. My first use-up-the-zucchini mission are these Vegan Gluten-free Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies.
They are gluten-free from the oat flour and rolled oats – as long as you get bags that are clearly labeled gluten-free. Oats are gluten-free naturally but are often contaminated with gluten along the way from field to bag.
The little gems use avocado and shredded zucchini in place of oil, so these are oil-free too! Oats, coconut, avocado, zucchini, pecans all come together to create these healthy little cookies.
If you are in a humid area of the world and won’t eat all of these in a day or two you can store them in the fridge. Another trick is to form the dough into cookie shapes and freeze in foil. I have 2 cookie dough keepers that I fill, then I just pop out one or two cookies out at a time and bake them. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
- flesh of 1 medium avocado, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut shreds
- 1 cup minced pecans, or nut of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until well combined. Add the mix-ins and mix until they are evenly distributed.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the dough onto the baking sheet with about a 1-inch space in between. The cookies will not spread out much while baking.
- After you've filled the pan smash the cookies down into a round shape. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until medium brown. Because of the moisture in the zucchini, you have to cook these slightly longer than a regular cookie and it can vary depending on the zucchini.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1103Saturated Fat 22gSodium 836mgCarbohydrates 129gFiber 23gSugar 48gProtein 22g