I have been in love with Kittee Berns’ cookbook since it came out, and I can’t believe I’m just telling you about it. Better late than never, right? Her book, Teff Love, is full of Vegan Ethiopian Recipes – one of my favorite cuisines!
If you haven’t had much Ethiopian, you are in for a treat! It’s full of lentils, vegetables and gluten-free bread made out of teff flour. You don’t use silverware when eating Ethiopian. Instead, you tear off a piece of the bread and use it to scoop up the delicious stews.
The book is full of great recipes including how to make the basic spice blends and even a quick way to make the bread. The book is full of recipes for breakfast, apps, spicy stews, mild stews, legume-based sauces, veggies and casseroles, and so much more.
Today I’m sharing 2 recipes from Kittee’s book. The first, Ye’tikil Gomen Be’karot, is a mild cabbage, carrot and green bean stew that’s one of my favorites. The second recipe is the quick way to make the bread, so you have something to eat the stew with!
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into sticks (1 cup)
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or grated (2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 green cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces (7 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 to 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded, veined, and cut into thin strips lengthwise
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the carrot, onion, Ye’qimem Zeyet, ginger, garlic, and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning, until the onion is soft and
- translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric, cardamom, and cloves and cook for 1 minute. Add the cabbage and water and stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, forn10 minutes. Add the chiles, cover, and cook until the cabbage is very tender and the carrots are soft, about 5 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with pepper and additional salt if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 115Saturated Fat 1gSodium 191mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 1g