Do you have a few cucumbers that are ready to be picked? There is an alternative to canning which will make those cucumbers last a little longer – make quick pickles!
This is a recipe my Mom would make all summer long. It takes no heat and almost zero time, so you can fit these into your busiest day of the summer.
Serve this as a side with a nice tofu salad or chickpea salad sandwich. It’s the perfect dinner for those days where you feel like your shoes are going to melt into the pavement. Nothing is hot, and you can chase it down with a nice glass of agave-sweetened ice tea.
You can vary the veggies and get adventurous with the fresh herbs in your garden. Just make sure to slice all the veggies you use in a batch about the same thickness. That way all of it will be ready at the same time.
- 1 cup sliced cucumber (About ½ English cucmber or 2 small regular cukes)
- ¼ to ½ cup thinly sliced onion (you can minced them if you prefer)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons agave nectar, to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Layer your veggies in a small pyrex dish or in a mason jar.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a measuring cup.
- Taste and adjust agave and salt to your taste.