Having a mid-week crisis? Lavender calms and soothes you in this small lemon chocolate chip cookie. They are certainly getting me through this after Labor Day funk. I hope they help you too.
You may not notice that there’s avocado in these cake-like cookies. But it’s standing in for the typical oil. Avocados are cool like that!
I used white whole wheat flour, but feel free to substitute whole wheat pastry flour or even unbleached flour. Culinary lavender and fresh lemon zest join in with chopped up chocolate chips to raise the flavor up a notch or two.
Serves: 18 small cookies
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or gluten-free mix)
- ½ cup chocolate chips. minced
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoon culinary lavender
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 15 drops liquid vanilla stevia (or ¼ teaspoon dry stevia)
- 1 small avocado ( about ½ cup)
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon lavender extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Process the wet ingredients in the food processor until smooth.
- Use a small cookie scoop to make the cookies.
- Press the top of each cookie down to make it look less like a macaroon and more like a delicate cookie. They don’t spread out as they cook.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
The wet ingredients will be greener than you’re used to, but don’t fret it won’t turn your cookies Kermit green.