Vegan Slow Cooker Curry Pot Pie Topped with Whole Wheat Biscuits
This stew is the embodiment of autumn. A lovely potato and winter squash stew studded with chickpeas that’s flavored with a mild curry and topped with mini cumin seed studded whole wheat biscuits. The best part is it’s cooked 90% in your slow cooker. After the stew is cooked you place the uncooked biscuits on top and place the crock in the oven, uncovered. You’ll love making it almost as much as eating it!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Idaho® potatoes
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger or 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk or nondairy milk of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 2/3 to 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour plus 1/4 cup extra for the cutting board
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other mild oil
Spray your 4 to 5 quart slow cooker with oil to aid in clean up.
Add all the stew ingredient to your slow cooker and mix well.
Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Note: If your slow cooker runs hot or boils on low, add an additional ½ cup of liquid.
minutes before serving preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside so it will curdle. Note: this will only work with soy milk because of its protein content.
Mix 1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour, cumin seeds, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Add the avocado oil to the soy milk mixture and stir until incorporated.
Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well.
If the dough is too sticky add the additional 1/3 cup whole wheat flour.
Flour a cutting board and transfer the dough to it. Roll or pat into a round of about 1/2 inch thickness.
Use small cookie cutters or cut into 1-inch squares.
Roll up the excess dough and repeat until all the dough is used.
minutes before serving stir the stew, taste and add additional salt and spices as needed.
Then arrange the uncooked biscuits on top of the stew in the slow cooker, and remove the crock.
Put your slow cooker crock, uncovered, into your oven and bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until the biscuits have set and <g class="gr_ gr_82 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="82" data-gr-id="82">have</g> slightly browned.