Vegan Slow Cooker Kheer - a Creamy Indian Rice Pudding
Servings 8 servings
- 1 cup 185 g long grain brown rice
- 6 cups 1448 ml nondairy milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup 83 g golden raisins
- 1/2 cup 73 g slivered or chopped almonds (pistachios and/or cashews work great too)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- sweetener to taste - I used 2 small packets of stevia and about 2 tablespoons of agave nectar - you can use regular sugar brown rice syrup, etc.
Place all the ingredients except for your sweetener of choice into a 3½ to 4 quart slow cooker. (Double the recipe if you have a larger slow cooker.)
Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for about 2½ hours. The size of your slow cooker and how hot it runs will change the exact cooking time.
Add sweetener and stir in. Then taste and add extra sweetener if you feel that you need it. (If you are using stevia I would recommend adding ⅛ teaspoon at a time. Just a little too much and it becomes bitter.)
The pudding will still be a little loose in the slow cooker. But it will thicken in the fridge. Serve it cold topped with extra raisins and nuts. You could even go crazy and add some fresh berries too!
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 148mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g