Coconut Macaroons from Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 22 minutes
Servings 14 servings
- 3/4 cup 135 g natural raw skin-on almonds, preferably organic
- 2 Tbsp 15 g finely ground flax seeds (from about 1 Tbsp or 15 ml whole seeds)
- 1/8 tsp .5 ml fine sea salt
- 2 cups 135 g unsweetened shredded coconut, medium shred
- 1/4 cup 60 ml coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup 60 ml light agave nectar
- 20 to 25 drops pure plain or vanilla stevia liquid or to taste
- 1/4 cup 60 ml tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tsp 5 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp 2.5 ml pure coconut extract (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, or spray with nonstick spray.
In the bowl of a food processor, whirl the almonds, flax, and salt together until they resemble a coarse meal, about the texture of cornmeal, without any identifiable pieces of almond visible.
Add the coconut and pulse once or twice to combine.
Next pour the coconut nectar, agave nectar, stevia, tahini, vanilla, and coconut extract, if using, over the dry ingredients.
Process again until everything is incorporated and the mixture forms a sticky ball (you may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the processor bowl once or twice).
Stop as soon as the mixture holds together, to avoid grinding the coconut too fine.
Using a small ice-cream scoop or tablespoon (15 ml), drop small mounds of the mixture onto the cookie sheets about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart.
Wet your palms (or use a silicone spatula) and flatten the cookies slightly.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets about halfway through baking, until the cookies are deep golden brown on top.
Cool completely before removing to a rack (the cookies will firm up as they cool).
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 26mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g