Instant Pot Indian Potato Salad Recipe with Idaho Potatoes
This potato salad goes way beyond plain potato salad and has all the flavors you love in samosas without the bother of making pastry. It even has carrots, peas and chickpeas which make it a complete meal!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Instant Pot Ingredients:
- 2 pounds Idaho® red potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced carrots I used purple carrots, but any color is fine
- 1 cup green peas fresh or thawed frozen
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or other mild oil (dry saute to make oil free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumins seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Cilantro-Mint Chutney Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 inch knob fresh ginger cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Place the potatoes, water, and carrots into your Instant Pot and cook on manual, high pressure, for 10 minutes. Manually release the pressure and remove the lid. Add the peas and chickpeas, replace the lid and cook on manual, low pressure, for 0 minutes. Yes, I really mean zero minutes.
Once it's done, which will be a few minutes since it will need time to come back up to pressure, release the pressure manually. Pour everything into a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a saute pan (or in your Instant Pot) over medium heat. Once hot add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and mustard seeds and saute until they become fragrant about 2 minutes.
Lower the heat and add the garam masala and the minced garlic. Saute 1 minute more. Remove from heat and let cool.
Add all the cilantro-mint chutney ingredients to a small food processor and pulse until smooth. If there's not enough liquid add extra water as needed to get it to blend.
In a large mixing bowl add the cooled vegetables, the cooled sauteed oil spice mixture, and the chutney, and cooked chickpeas if using, then mix well.
You can serve it as is, or chill for at least an hour to get it nice and cold. Enjoy!
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 362mg | Potassium: 1222mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5640IU | Vitamin C: 36.9mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.4mg