Vegan Whole Wheat Pumpkin Drop Biscuits from The Easy Vegan Cookbook
Celebrate pumpkin season with these easy drop biscuits that are just as welcome at breakfast as on the side of a nice bowl of soup.
Servings 10 biscuits
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soy milk or other nondairy milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups 242 grams whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary or 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or use extra pumpkin puree to make oil-free
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Oil a large baking sheet or use parchment paper to make oil-free.
Whisk the soy milk and vinegar and set aside. (While it stands, it will curdle and thicken, creating a vegan buttermilk substitute. This only works with soy milk; if you use a nut milk or coconut milk, it will not thicken.)
Measure the flour into a blender or food processor. Process until the flour is finely ground. This will take several minutes in a food processor.
Pour the flour into a medium mixing bowl. Add the baking powder, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cut in the pumpkin puree and coconut oil with a pastry cutter or two knives.
Mix the soy milk into the flour mixture (the dough will be sticky, which will create extra moist biscuits).
Using a large cookie scoop or spoon, scoop ¼-cup portions of the dough onto the baking sheet.
Bake until the bottoms are medium brown, about 10 minutes.
Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 152mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g