Butternut Squash And Kale Autumn Lo Mein With Crispy Tofu
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1/2 box Dreamfields spaghetti
- 1 block 16 ounces organic extra-firm tofu, cut into small rectangles (*see note)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons organic cornstarch or all-purpose flour divided
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water plus 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms , sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 10 ounces butternut squash , fresh or frozen, cut into cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped kale fresh or frozen (see note)
Preheat oven 250°F. You will use this to keep the tofu warm later in the recipe.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Place tofu and 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch in large bowl; toss to coat well. Set aside.
Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add tofu in single layer. Cook 5 to 8 minutes or until one side is golden brown; turn tofu.
Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes or until other side is golden brown. Drain tofu on paper towel-lined plate. Transfer to baking sheet; place in oven to keep warm.
Meanwhile in large bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together broth, bouillon cube, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger and garlic; set aside.
Add onion to skillet that was used for tofu. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; cook 5 to 7 minutes more, or until they cook down and release their juices, stirring occasionally.
Reserve ¼ cup sauce mixture. Add remaining sauce mixture to skillet, then stir in squash. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Whisk remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch into remaining ¼ cup sauce. Add to skillet along with kale; stir thoroughly to mix in cornstarch. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
Add pasta; toss to coat. Divide pasta-vegetable mixture among 4 bowls. Top with crispy tofu.
If extra-firm tofu is not available you can use regular or firm tofu. First, press the water out of it to make it the same texture as extra-firm. Then wrap the tofu with a clean dish towel or paper towels and place on a cutting board. Place a cast iron pan or other stable heavy pan or dish on top of the tofu. This will flatten it and press the water out of it.
Other greens such as collards or spinach can be substituted for the kale.
Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 614mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g