Posted by Kathy Hesterhttps://healthyslowcooking.com/vegan-slow-cooker-mole-mushroom-taco-filling-huaraches-and-my-trip-to-cancun/
© 2018 . All rights reserved.
Slow Cooker Mole Mushroom Vegan Tacos or Huaraches
- 2 dried ancho chili peppers
- water to cover chili peppers
- 1 1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup chili cooking water (see instructions)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt, to taste
Prepare the ancho chilies:
- Toast the chiles in a dry skillet over medium heat. You don't want to overcook or burn them, just to dry them out a bit and cook until they become fragrant.
- Let cool, then remove the seeds, stem and ribs and discard. Place the flesh of the pepper in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes to reconstitute.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to carefully remove the reconstituted peppers and put them in your blender with all of the sauce ingredients EXCEPT for the salt. Blend until smooth, taste, add salt and taste again.
- In your 3 to 4 quart slow cooker add the mushrooms and the sauce ingredients. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours. If you may be home late add an extra ¼ cup water to make sure the filling doesn't burn.
- Serve in a soft or hard taco shell and top with lettuce, vegan queso fresco and vegan sour cream.