It’s time to make some Christmas cookies! My Mint Double Chocolate Black Bean Cookies are always a big hit because everyone loves them. The original recipe (that doesn’t contain mint) comes from The Great Vegan Bean Book. Don’t worry – you can’t taste beans at all.
These cookies are soft and cake-like. Use your favorite gluten-free blend to make them gluten-free, and they are already oil-free and soy-free. They will fit most people’s diets and makes these a must for holiday parties.
I haven’t made these sugar-free before, but you can try baking them with Lily’s Chocolate Chips that are sweetened with stevia. You could use a stevia in place of the sugar, but it will throw the wet to dry proportions off. You’ll probably need to add more flour to make up for it. But if you give it a try please let me know what worked for you in the comments.
Double-Chocolate Devil’s Food Cookies from The Great Vegan Bean Book
- 1 ½ cups 180 g whole wheat pastry flour (**use gluten-free)
- ½ cup 40 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups 258 g cooked black beans or 1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon 7 g ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons (45 ml) warm water
- 1 cup 235 ml unsweetened nondairy milk (*use soy-free)
- ½ cup 115 g brown sugar
- ½ cup 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 ½ cups 263 g vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C, or gas mark 4). Oil a cookie sheet ***or line with parchment paper. (***If you eat oil-free, please note that your chocolate chips probably do have added oil so you may want to leave them out.)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a food processor, add the black beans, flaxseed and water mixture, nondairy milk, both sugars, and peppermint.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry in the bowl along with the chocolate chips and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Scoop the cookies using a small cookie scoop(about 1 ½ tablespoons [22.5 g]) onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies look dry on top and spring back when lightly touched.
soy-free option* gluten-free option** no oil added option***