I have a spiralizer recipe for you today! It’s Vegan Pad Thai Salad over Spiralized Zucchini from The Little Vegan Cookbook. It’s a compilation cookbook from Fair Winds Press that includes recipes from 10 different authors.
Drenched Pad Thai Salad with Zoodles by Allyson Kramer
The Little Vegan Cookbook
I really wish they credited each recipe in the book with the author’s name and the book it came from. That would make it easier to go back and buy more books based on the recipes you end up loving. The authors do receive royalties from book sales, but I think Fair Winds could sell more books if they clearly stated where each recipe was from. It was probably because of space, but it was still a lost opportunity.
But you can find out where many of the recipes are from. A quick google search let me know that the recipe I’m printing today is originally from Great Gluten-free Vegan Eats by Allyson Kramer. I love her, so it comes as no surprise, and I recommend that you take a look through her books.
Get the Recipe for Vegan Pad Thai Salad over Spiralized Zucchini
FOR THE TOFU MARINADE:
- 3/4 cup 175 ml pineapple juice
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons 45 ml wheat-free tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil, or olive oil
- 1 can, 15 ounces, or 420 g pineapple slices in pineapple juice
FOR THE ZUCCHINI NOODLES:
- 2 or 3 zucchini
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING:
- 3/4 cup 180 ml liquid from tofu marinade
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml lime juice
- 4 heaping tablespoons, 64 g smooth peanut butter
- Wheat-free tamari or soy sauce, to taste
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 mango, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup 110 g roasted peanuts, crushed
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Hot sauce, optional
- Halve the tofu, making two rectangles about ½-inch (1.3 cm) thick. Cut them into bite-size triangles.
- In a medium baking dish, arrange the tofu in a single layer.
- To make the marinade: In a bowl, whisk all of ingredients together. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Marinate for at least 2 hours, flipping the tofu halfway through. Remove the tofu from the dish, reserving the leftover marinade.
- Grill the tofu and the pineapple rings on an electric indoor grill (or a mesh grill pan placed on an outdoor grill) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides, flipping if necessary.
- To make the zucchini noodles: Remove the ends from the zucchini and peel if desired. Using a vegetable spiralizer or vegetable peeler, cut the zucchini into long noodle-like strips, chopping into shorter “noodles” if necessary, and place in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing: In a bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients until smooth. (The dressing will be quite soupy.) Add more tamari to taste, if desired. Pour the dressing over the zucchini noodles and mix together until well coated, allowing the excess to remain at the bottom of the bowl.
Amount Per Serving Calories 412Saturated Fat 4gSodium 782mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 7gSugar 24gProtein 19g
More About the Book
The book is full of 500 recipes, so you’ll never be at a loss for what to make for dinner, breakfast or dessert. There are photos, but they are not with each recipe, but in collages in a few pages clustered in the chapters.
It is also a smaller size than most cookbooks with smaller print. If you have trouble reading small print, I’d suggest buying the e-book version, so you can adjust the size on your e-reader. That’s why I love my ipad, but some of the Kindle Fire Tablets are less than $50 if you have been thinking about getting one.
Other Vegan Summer Recipes
- Zucchini Noodle Salad with Moroccan Chickpeas
- Super Easy Sesame Cucumber Noodles
- Thai Red Curry Vegetables with Sweet Potato Rice