Another day, another syrup/sauce! Today I have a thick, rich chocolate syrup for you. It has a base of chocolate stout beer with a little full fat coconut milk and sweetened with coconut sugar. It’s not exactly on the good-for-you list, but you’ll only use a tablespoon or 2, per iced mocha.
Looking for a fat-free and sugar-free chocolate syrup? You can get my Guilt-free Stevia Chocolate Syrup here.
I’ve been thinking about making a beer chocolate sauce for awhile. This weekend I ran across an organic beer that looked interesting. I checked on Barnivore.com and Bison’s Chocolate Stout is vegan in addition to being organic! I want to get my hands on their gingerbread beer, but I haven’t found it yet.
I did find their chocolate stout to be a little bitter than I expected, so I added extra coconut sugar. You should plan on adjusting the sweetener based on the beer you end up using. You can use stevia, maple syrup, agave or even organic sugar in place of the coconut sugar if you’d like. Some of these will result in a thinner sauce, but it will still taste just as good.
You can taste a hint of the beer in the sauce if you’re looking for it, but it’s very subtle.
I have a ridiculous fondness for chocolate in my coffee. My first iced mocha made me fall in love with coffee. There’s something comforting about it. In a way it brings me back to the chocolate milk I used to drink when I came home from school. I always drink (nondairy) milk in my coffee. Add in some chocolate syrup and suddenly the coffee is less bitter and has a little more depth of flavor.
I drink iced coffee all year round. In fact I even ordered one when I was in Chicago in January! I’m a southern girl – its impossible to have too much ice in a drink.
When I worked at a breakfast restaurant we used to make up chocolate milk ahead of time. This meant we were ready for all the iced mocha orders that would pour in on the weekend. You could do that on Sunday. That way in the morning, you simply pour some coffee concentrate and your chocolate milk into your to-go cup. It will take no time at all!
Vegan Chocolate Sauce with Chocolate Stout
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 cup chocolate stout beer
- 1 cup cocoa powder shifted
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- Add the sugar and beer to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in the cocoa powder ⅓ at a time until it incorporates. Note: I hate to sift things but It really is easier if you sift out the clumps.
- Turn the heat down to medium and stir in the coconut milk. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Mix in the vanilla and salt, then take off the heat.