Stove-top Smoky Red Beans
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or water saute to make oil-free
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup celery or 1 teaspoon dried lovage or 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup Harris Teeter Organic Vegetable Broth
- 3 - 15 ounce cans Harris Teeter Organic Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste, optional
- hot sauce of choice for serving
- Heat up the coconut oil, if using, in a medium sauce pan. Once hot add the onion and saute until translucent. Then add the bell pepper, celery, garlic and Cajun seasoning. Saute until the peppers soften and the spices become fragrant.
- Add the marjoram, thyme, pepper, liquid smoke, and Harris Teeter Organic Vegetable Broth. Cook another 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender, blender, or food processor and blend the ingredients until not quite smooth. You want a little bit of texture left.
- Return the mixture to the pan, add the cans of Harris Teeter Organic Dark Red Kidney Beans and the bay leaf, mix well, cover and cook for 15 minutes on low heat. Until the flavors meld and the beans are throughly heated.
- Add salt to taste and serve over steamed rice or my Instant Pot Dirty Rice!