I love tortilla soup and it’s hard to find a good vegetarian version when you’re out. So this is just another excuse to stay in and save some more money. Serve it with a salad topped with black beans, green chilies, and salsa to make a complete meal.
Slow Cooker Meatless Tortilla Soup (*gluten-free)
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 medium onions minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 28 oz. organic tomatoes diced, crushed, or whole
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 Tb cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup tequila
- The night before:
- Chop onions and mince the garlic. How easy is that for prep work?
- Optional: Saute in olive oil then store in fridge until tomorrow.
- In the morning:
- Add everything but the avocado and tequila.
- Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- About a half hour or so before serving, stir in lime juice, tequila, and adjust .
- Puree with an immersion blender.
- Chop avocado and toss with extra lime juice and a little chili powder.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, avocado, and strips of *baked tortilla strips or *crushed chips.