Welcome to day 3 of love your oatmeal week! Today’s oatmeal reminds me of my favorite muffins – you will get blueberries in every bite with a bright burst of lemon. There’s something about just smelling lemon that seems to make the ickiest day seem to have possibilities.
Slow Cooker Lemon Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that's 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- (I used fresh, but frozen should work fine too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (or 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener (I used agave)
- For serving: finely grated lemon zest and more fresh blueberries
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except sweetener and lemon zest.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. If you used fresh blueberries they will have floated to the top of the crock. Just smash them a little with the spoon while you're mixing the pot to incorporate them into the mix.
- Stir in sweetener.
- Top each serving with lemon zest and more fresh blueberries if you want.