I’m trying to get my other half to eat more fruit so the first thought is having it as dessert. I love liquor in my desserts, but you could leave it out if you don’t imbibe. Of course, the healthiest way to eat an apple is to grab a fresh one and go to it. But desperate situations require tasty desperate solutions!
Slow Cooker Drunken Apples (gluten-free)
- 4 apples cored and sliced
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- 2 - 3 tangerines juiced (or about 1/2 cup OJ)
- 1/2 lime juiced (or lemon)
- 1 shot rum I used a darker rum
- 1/2 shot Navan A vanilla liquor or Amaretto or Triple Sec
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. marjoram substitute basil if you need to
- In the morning:
- Prepare the apples, juice the tangerines and lime and put everything in the slow cooker. Many of these have no temperature control so they cook everything on low. If you leave the alcohol out, you may want to add some fruit juice or water.
- Serve by itself, over low-fat vanilla ice cream (try Soy Delicious - I love the coconut milk one) , over a whole wheat cupcake, even on your oatmeal for a special treat.