This soup is a great start to a dinner party. I don’t know about you, but before slow cooking, I used to spend too much time in the kitchen at my parties. Using my slow cookers means I can hang out with my friends more. Now I even have enough slow cookers to make all the dishes for a dinner party!
Keep an eye out at thrift stores and yard sales to collect a few of your own. I got a Crockpot trio for my birthday this year and it’s awesome. If you live in a small apartment though, you might want to skip it. It’s pretty huge and a pain to store.
Slow Cooker Citrus Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1-15 oz canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tb. Jerk Seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 Tb. Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp garlic Tabasco garlic Tabasco is less hot than regular
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 orange juiced
- 1 Tb fresh cilantro chopped
- The night before:
- Put the dried beans in the slow cooker and add water until it's about 3 or 4 inches above the beans.
- Cook on high overnight.
- In the morning:
- Turn the slow cooker to low. If the beans are too watery remove some of the liquid.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for about 8 hours.
- Taste before serving and adjust spices as needed.
- Puree (or not) depending on your preference.
- Top with more fresh cilantro and a tsp. of salsa.