Posted by Kathy Hesterhttps://healthyslowcooking.com/sloppy-black-eyed-peas/
© 2017 . All rights reserved.
Sloppy Black-Eyed Peas
soy-free, oil-free, gluten-free option*
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1/3 cup (48 g) dry black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup (43 g) carrots, chopped
- 1/6 cup (33 g) millet
- 2 tablespoons (19 g) minced bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, to taste
- 1 cup (56 g) minced greens (collards, kale, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 or 3 buns, for serving (*use gluten-free)
In the morning:
- Add all the morning ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Thirty minutes before serving:
- Add the greens and tomato paste.
- Add the salt and pepper right before serving and more Cajun seasoning if needed.
- Serve open-faced style with the black-eyed pea mixture ladled over a lightly toasted bun.