Today I have a wonderful fall stew for you that’s quick and easy to make. I wanted to use up the last of the late okra and green beans plus a little early sweet potato. This recipe is a perfect seasonal transition.
What the heck is Kañiwa? It’s a close relative to quinoa and is sometimes referred to as baby quinoa. RolandⓇ Kañiwa is available on Amazon here in case you can’t find it near you. The best part, other than the cutness factor, is that it has less of the bitter seed coating or saponins than regular old quinoa.
I love Indian flavors so I added a few of my favorites to this stew that warm up the dish with an array of spices that meld together. The red lentils and kañiwa make this stew really hearty. Full of protein and fiber, the seasonal veggies are just the cherry on top. You could make this dish anytime of the year. Just substitute the veggies that the particular time of year is featuring, or make life simple and pick veggies that you need to use up from the fridge.
Kañiwa Veggie Stew
soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free option* This stew is thick with red lentils, okra, sweet potato and kaniwa to make a protein-packed Indian-spiced meal that comes together in minutes.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons RolandⓇ Extra Virgin Olive Oil (* use water saute in place of oil to make oil-free)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds, optional
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon or cubes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 cup RolandⓇ Red Lentils
- 1 cup chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- 1/2 cup RolandⓇ Kañiwa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Once hot add in the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic, cardamom pods, cumin seeds (both kinds if using), coriander seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and saute for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the spices become fragrant.
- Add in the water, garam masala, chili powder, red lentils, sweet potato, okra, green beans and kañiwa.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over medium-low heat about 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft and the Kañiwa shows it’s white “tails”.
- Stir well, add salt and any additional water if the stew is thicker than you’d like it to be.