Posted by Kathy Hesterhttps://healthyslowcooking.com/mini-pumpkin-vegan-treacle-tarts/
© 2017 . All rights reserved.
Mini Pumpkin Vegan Treacle Tarts
This is my version of a traditional English dessert. It usually has white breadcrumbs as part of the filling, but I used rolled oats minced in my food processor instead. It makes it a little healthier. Golden syrup can be found in the import section of a large grocery store, World Market, or online.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour (you could sub whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (or sub coconut oil)
- 4 to 5 tablespoons water
- 1 cup golden syrup
- the zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup rolled oats, pulsed until small in your food processor
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and oil mini springform pans or line mini muffin tins with baking liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to a mixing bowl and mix well. Then add the vegan butter and cut in using 2 knives or a pastry cutter.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons of the water. If the dough isn't sticky enough to hold together add more water a tablespoon at a time until it is.
- Form a ball with the dough and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Once cold, cut into quarters and leave all but the one you are working with in the fridge until you are ready to work with it.
- Roll one-quarter of the dough out on a floured cutting board, and use a glass or biscuit cutter to cut even shapes that are a fit for the mini-pans you are using. Press in prepared pans. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Lightly poke holes in the bottom of each crust and bake for 10 minutes without the filling. This will set up the crust for the second baking.
- Mix all the filling ingredients together well and set aside until the crusts are ready and cool to the touch.
- Once the crusts are cool, add a heaping tablespoon (more or less depending on the size of your pans) into each crust. Bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the filling is set.