I love macaroons and these are made with quinoa flour giving them a little boost in the nutrition department. They also happen to be gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free making them fit in almost every diet. These macaroons get a flavor boost from some cream skimmed off the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk, a little coconut extract and dried shredded coconut.
I use maple syrup and agave to sweeten these cookies, but you could use all maple syrup instead. You can use any sweetener as long as you add some extra liquid if it’s a dry sweetener.
If you have a Vitamix dry container, a spice mill or grinder you can try making your own quinoa flour. After my amaranth debacle I would not suggest using the wet container for your high-speed blender. Have you made your own before? What did you use to grind it?
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup coconut cream skimmed from the top of a full fat can of Coconut Milk, Do not use low-fat
- 2 1/3 cups finely shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 large sheet pans by spraying them with oil or lining with parchment paper if you are avoiding extra oil.
- Add the ground flaxseed and warm water to a large mixing bowl. Give it about 5 minutes to thicken up. This is what helps hold the macaroons together and are what we are using to replace the egg.
- Whisk in the coconut cream until incorporated with the flax mixture. Add the shredded coconut, quinoa flour, maple syrup, agave nectar, vanilla, coconut extract (if using) and the salt and mix well.
- Form cookies by using a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop, pulling it through the cookie batter then scraping it on the side of the bowl to flatten the bottom, finally release on the prepared sheet pan leaving an inch or 2 between macaroons.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops begin to turn golden brown
Amount Per Serving Calories 85Saturated Fat 5gSodium 27mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 1g