These sweet potatoes are full of cranberries, pear and spices all topped with gingerbread cookie crumbs. Not exactly traditional, but definitely worth a try this Thanksgiving!
You can even bake the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker instead of cooking them on the stove-top. Also the spices are fairly mild, so feel free to add more if you want them stronger.
Gingerbread Sweet Potatoes
- 4 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 cup minced pears about 1 medium
- ¼ cup minced dried cranberries
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar or agave nectar to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- pinch salt
- ½ cup minced gingerbread cookies optional
- Put the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium high heat and cook until easily mashed with a fork. Drain in a colander.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and mash, adding a tablespoon or two of water if needed. Mix in the pears, cranberries, spices and salt.
- Sprinkle each serving with gingerbread cookie crumbs.