Posted by Kathy Hesterhttps://healthyslowcooking.com/instant-pot-vegan-curried-spring-vegetable-potato-chaat/
© 2018 . All rights reserved.
Instant Pot Vegan Curried Spring Vegetable Potato Chaat
The spring vegetable mix includes the delicious inside of the potato mixed with carrots, zucchini, and my spring favorite, rainbow chard. If you aren’t a huge curry fan still give this a try. It’s lightly spiced and is a great gateway into trying more Indian goodies. This is a colorful recipe that’s perfect for a main course, but you could use Idaho® small red, gold, or fingerling potatoes and make little one-bite appetizers.
- 4 medium Idaho® russet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, or other Indian curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Vegetable Curry Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or other mild oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (or other Indian curry blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots (cut into half moons if very wide)
- 1/2 cup water, use more as needed
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- Reserved potato that you scooped out of the cooked potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chopped rainbow chard (or other green like kale, spinach or collards)
- Salt, to taste
Simple Cucumber Cilantro Raita Ingredients
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt (or plain vegan yogurt of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons grated cucumber
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cashews
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped Scallions
Make the potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets by covering with parchment paper.
- Rub both sides of the potato halves with olive oil, place cut side down on the baking sheet. Then sprinkle the skin side with garam masala and salt.
- Place in oven for 30 to 45 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the cut side with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, gently scoop out the middle. I like to score the cut side with a knife first and leave a “bowl lip” of potato and a layer of white potato on the inside so it’s a sturdy bowl.
Make the spring vegetable curry in your Instant Pot:
- Heat the oil in your Instant Pot on the saute setting. Once hot add the garam masala, cumin seeds, turmeric, mustard powder, and cinnamon. Saute until the spices become fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, and red bell pepper and saute another minute.
- Add in carrots and water. Put the lid on and close the pressure value. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Carefully release the pressure manually by moving the value to vent. Remove the lid and add the zucchini and potato. Change the setting back to saute. If it starts to stick to the pan, add another ½ cup water.
- Once the zucchini are tender stir in the chopped rainbow chard and cook another minute.
- Salt to taste, before adding to the potato skins.
Make the raita:
- Stir the yogurt, cucumber, and cilantro together and salt to taste.
- How to serve:
- Fill the potato skin “bowls” with the curry mixture. Have bowls of the topping and raita to pass at the table so everyone can make theirs just the way they like it.
- You could also multiply the recipe to serve a crowd and serve it buffet style. I’d recommend keeping the curry in a slow cooker on warm, but be aware that you made need to add a little more water as the day goes on.