Homemade Rojo Sauce
- 2 dried New Mexican or Pasilla Chile Peppers
- 1/4 cup water or cooking liquid from peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Toast the chilies in a dry saute pan over medium heat until they become fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Then carefully remove the stem and seeds.
- Put the peppers into a small saucepan and cover with water. Cook over medium until the peppers are reconstituted, about 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked peppers, water or cooking liquid, garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, and salt into your blender and blend until smooth. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender several times to make sure everything is smooth.