Posted by Kathy Hesterhttps://healthyslowcooking.com/gluten-free-vegan-pumpkin-pie-with-a-teff-flour-pecan-crust/
© 2017 . All rights reserved.
Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Teff Flour Pecan Crust
This pie is a perfect way to end your Thanksgiving celebration. The spiced pumpkin filling is lightly sweetened with brown sugar and a hint of molasses. It’s gluten-free, soy-free, egg-free, and dairy-free so even your guests with allergies will be able to enjoy dessert. You can make the pie up to 2 days before your celebration. If you make it the day you plan to eat it, make sure to leave time for it to cool in the refrigerator for about 3 hours before serving.
- 1 cup Maskal Ivory Teff Flour (or brown teff flour)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced pecans
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce/425g) can pureed pumpkin (or 1 1/2 cup homemade)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 3 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a 9-inch pie pan.
Make the crust
- Put the Maskal Ivory Teff Flour, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt into your food processor. Pulse until the mixture looks like a coarse cornmeal.
- Add in the pecans and water to your food processor and pulse until a dough ball forms. Place the dough in a tight ball into the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Spread some flour on a cutting board and shape the dough into a disk. Then transfer to the pie pan and press it evenly up the sides. Use a fork or your fingers to decorate the edges.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool before you add the filling.
Make the Filling
- Put the pumpkin, non-dairy milk, brown sugar, organic cornstarch, molasses, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and nutmeg into your blender and blend until smooth.
Put the Pie Together and Bake
- Put the pie pan with the prepared crust on a sheet pan. This will keep your oven clean and make it easier to grab the hot pie out of the oven later.
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread evenly using a spatula. Put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- After the pie pan is cool enough to touch, move the pie to your refrigerator and let it chill for 3 hours so the filling will set up.