Marie Laforet‘s mini ice cream cake will perk you up on the hottest days. It’s great to take to a cookout because no one will guess this blood orange ice cream sandwiched between layers of chocolate cake is vegan. Be sure to check out her book, The Best Homemade Vegan Cheese and Ice Cream Recipes, for more delicious frozen treats and some easy to make vegan cheeses.
It may not be officially summer yet, but it sure feels like it here in North Carolina. We’ve got a bunch of fans on all over the house to make better use of our a/c. Plus I’m already going through all the ice the ice maker can make everyday. (Try saying that 10 times fast.) That makes a cooling slice of this mini ice cream cake even more treasured!
If you haven’t made a cashew based ice cream before, this is a great recipe to start with. You don’t even need an ice cream maker! The one thing you do need to plan is soaking your cashews ahead of time. You can substitute a different juice for the blood orange to change it up.
Mini Ice Cream Cake Recipe Tips
- Soak twice as many cashew as you need for the recipe, then drain and freeze the leftovers so you can make your next batch with no waiting time.
- Make the cake a day ahead of time so you don’t have to wait for it to cool the day you make it.
- Remember you can assemble the mini ice cream cake a few days before you are going to serve it.
- 7 oz cashews
- 1 cup blood orange juice
- 3 to 4 tbsp agave syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup light cane sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plain soy yogurt
- 5 tbsp neutral vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 2 tbsp vegan milk
- 3 1⁄2 oz whole wheat flour, preferably einkorn wheat
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- In a bowl, soak cashews in water for 8 to 12 hours.
- Drain cashews and transfer to blender. Add orange juice, agave syrup to taste and vanilla; blend until smooth. Freeze in an airtight container to chill (but do not freeze solid).
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, soy yogurt and oil. Add cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla powder; stir well. Gradually incorporate milk, then sift flour with salt into batter and stir until combined. Spread mixture on a prepared baking sheet to a uniform thickness.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool. Using a metal pastry ring, cut out 6 cake rounds.
- Place both pastry rings on another prepared baking sheet (or on a platter). Place a cake round inside each. Pour a similar thickness of ice cream into each ring. Add a second layer of cake, then a second layer of ice cream, and finish with the last layer of cake. Freeze for at least 4 hours. Insert a knife blade around the edge of the ring to remove the ice cream cake.
For this recipe you will need the following tools:
• 2 baking sheets, lined with parchment paper
• Two 23⁄4- to 31⁄4-inch (7 to 8 cm) metal pastry rings
Amount Per Serving Calories 795Saturated Fat 18gSodium 609mgCarbohydrates 101gFiber 6gSugar 62gProtein 15g
Here are a few other vegan frozen desserts for you to try throughout the summer: