I love Julie Hasson’s recipes, and couldn’t wait to take a peek at her latest book, Vegan Casseroles. She has a delicious mix of old and new flavors. My favorite is her lighter Cream of Mushroom Soup to healthy up some of your own family favorites which may have been passed down. Now I can try some of those slow cooker recipes that use it!
Be sure to scroll down and enter her giveaway today!
Julie has a chapter to help you get your pantry casserole-ready and then divides up the recipes into seven chapters:
- One-Dish Appetizers
- Dutch Oven and Skillet Casseroles
- Old Favorites and New Twists
- Pasta Casseroles
- Vegetable Casseroles
- Dessert Casseroles
- Sauces, Toppings and Basics
Expect some fun recipes like Veggies and Dumplings, Hash Brown Gratin, Shepard’s Pie with Lentils and Herbs, and Truffled Cauliflower Mac. Don’t worry, there are a few sweet casseroles like the Rustic Bread Pudding recipe Julie is sharing with us in this post.
Rustic Bread Pudding
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 21/4 cups plain unsweetened soymilk or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups bread cubes a crusty, rustic bread or French bread is great
- 1/2 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and cornstarch until well blended. Add the soymilk, maple syrup, and vanilla, whisking until smooth.
- Add the bread cubes and let sit about 10 minutes, or
- until the bread is soft and has absorbed most of the milk. Gently fold in the chocolate chips, dried cherries, and a few sprinkles of cinnamon. Don’t overmix.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Lightly sprinkle the top with a little more cinnamon.
- Bake the pudding for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden and the milk has been absorbed.
raisins, slivered dried apricots, or chopped toasted hazelnuts for either the chocolate chips or the
Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free bread cubes.