I love smoothies and I tend to pack mine full of extra ice or frozen fruit to make it extra thick. In fact, I can go through all the ice my ice maker creates for me in a day during the summer.
My friend and fellow blogger, Faith Gorsky of An Edible Mosaic, and her friend, Alyssa Brantley of Everyday Maven, wrote an awesome ebook called Blend Smoothies, that is now out of print. However you need to try this recipe even if it’s the only one you get to make from it.
I love the variety and the recipes are divided up into indulgent, fruit, green, and coffee & tea. All in all there are 35 fun and delicious smoothies.
A few of my favorites from Blend Smoothies are Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie (with maple syrup in place of the honey and dates in place of the raisins), Vanilla Fig (with maple syrup or 1 date in place of the honey and vanilla extract) and Concord Grape and Greens (with agave nectar in place of the honey).
I love everything in the coffee and tea chapter, but especially the Maple Walnut Coffee I’m sharing with you today that’s sweetened with stevia. I modified mine by using 1/4 cup homemade cold brew coffee concentrate instead of the powdered coffee and left out the almond milk.
Maple Walnut Blended Coffee Recipe from BLEND: Healthy + Indulgent Smoothies
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats old-fashioned or quick-cooking
- 3/4 cup 185 ml plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1 packet or 1/2 tablespoon instant powdered coffee
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 packet stevia
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Medjool dates pitted and coarsely chopped
- 6-8 ice cubes
- Add the walnuts and oats to a blender and pulse until they form a powder.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except the ice) into the blender and process until
- Add the ice and pulse until pulverized.
- Transfer to a serving glass; serve immediately.
maple syrup. If walnuts aren’t your thing, this smoothie is also wonderful with pecans instead! Toast the nuts on the stovetop to bump up their nutty flavor; let them cool completely