This recipe is one of the easiest of them all. You can make your own pizza dough or just use English muffins or tortillas. The filling probably takes about 15 minutes to throw together and you can make it a day or two before you want to use it.
If you are avoiding soy you could certainly use seitan or add extra veggies in place of the tofu. To make it gluten-free simply buy or make gluten-free pizza shells.
Don’t feel like taking the time to make pizza dough or all out of pre-made shells? This is also good on English Muffins, flat-bread, light toasted tortillas and even in a bun. (See, I told you it was easy!)
BBQ Tofu Pepper Pineapple Topping
- 1/2 block tofu
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh (or canned) pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Pepper Jack Daiya (or keep it cheese-less)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce (use more or less depending on how saucy you like it)
- Press the tofu. This gets all the water out and give it a very firm texture.
- Chop the pressed tofu, red pepper, and pineapple.
- Add to a bowl and mix together.
- You can either put the Daiya on top of this mixture on your pizza or mix it in before hand. I think Daiya melts best with a little liquid so I mixed mine in.
- Spread topping on pre-made crust(s).
- Bake in oven at 425 until crust is done. Time will vary wildly depending on the thickness of your crust.
Another way I like to make this is to mix the tofu, green pepper, and 1 cup bbq sauce in a 1½ to 2 quart slow cooker and let it cook all day on low. You can cook the pineapple with it, but I like to add it at the end. It's also great on buns and perfect for cocktail night on the deck!