Since my Sriracha Avocado Chickpea Salad was a surprise hit, I thought I’d share another easy recipe. This time I’ve got some Avocado Chili Bean Veggie Burgers that are perfect for lunch or dinner.
They take no time to mix together and use ingredients that you probably have on hand right now.
One of the ingredients is oat flour. If you don’t have oat flour now, please don’t go out and buy it. Instead, add a few cups of rolled oats to your food processor and process until fine. The texture will be close to whole wheat flour.
For some odd reason, oat flour costs more than rolled oats per pound at the store. Making your own is easy and cheap!
Once you’ve gotten the burger mixture ready, then you just make patties using a 1/4 cup scoop and the set to bake.
The burgers I grew up on were smothered with chili and coleslaw. The chili flavor is baked right into the veggie burger so you can skip the messy chili on top and just add the slaw.
Avocado Chili Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 small ripe avocado about 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 15.5 ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon jalapeno powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking liner.
- Mash the avocado, lime juice and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl until smooth.
- Then add the pinto beans and smash them. It's fine if some of them stay whole as long as some of them are mashed.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and form into 8 small patties. Bake for 15 minutes on one side, flip and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Serve on slider buns with your favorite toppings.