This weekend we needed a hot drink to warm up after playing in the snow. I wasn’t in the mood for chocolate, so cocoa was out. I started thinking about atole, a thick, sweet drink full of cinnamon that I make with fresh corn and cashews. It’s so good, but I didn’t want to chance it with frozen corn.
I have an oatchata recipe that I make in the summer and this winter Warm Cinnamon Horchata is pretty similar.
Max is still not sure about the snow. Even though he has more fur than when we adopted him, you can see that he still has such thin fur on his back legs. He would rather be sunning himself in 90-degree weather than going out in the cold.
I do use oats in this recipe in addition to brown rice and almonds. Please note that as you heat it up on the stove, the oats will begin to thicken. This means you will need to stir constantly while cooking.
If you’re like me, you’ll get distracted and that will cause a few lumps to form in the heated mixture. There is an easy solution – blend it up in your blender before you serve. It makes it thick and creamy!
Vegan Warm Cinnamon Horchata with Whole Grains and Almonds
Wow your friends with this unusual hot drink. You make a plant-based milk with oats, rice, and almonds and flavor it with cinnamon and vanilla. Then heat it up and warm yourself up!
Overnight Soak Ingredients
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats (or an additional 1/4 cup brown rice)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- sweetener of choice, to taste (I used 1/4 cup raw sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt, optional
- Add the water, almonds, brown rice, oats, and cinnamon sticks to your blender and soak overnight or up to 12 hours.
- Transfer the cinnamon sticks to a medium saucepan, then blend the rest of the ingredients until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer or nut milk bag into the saucepan.
- Add the sweetener, vanilla, and pinch of salt, if using, then heat over low heat, stirring constantly to keep the oat milk from forming small lumps until it's just hot.
- If there are some lumps, just pop it back into the blender and it will come out creamy.